At the end of December I chose to get the Pfizer vaccine and unfortunately had a reaction and ended up being wheeled to the ER with a weird feeling throat, numb lips and mouth. They gave me an IV of meds and sent me home with Prednisone. Thank goodness I did not need Epi!
Fast forward to the week of August 9, 2021. There’s a new mandate that all healthcare workers must be vaccinated to keep their job unless of course they have a religious or medical exemption. Of course I would probably qualify, however even with my reaction I still desired to get the second dose. After consulting my PCP he agreed if I take 50mg of Benadryl 1 hour prior and have a ride. No problem, I got this. I scheduled an appointment for Saturday, August 14th at 10:30am.
Jes and the kids dropped me off at the front of Walgreens and I was kinda drowsy from the Benadryl and nervous, but anxious to get it over with. They called me back. Got the second dose and that was that. I got back in the truck and Jes asked how I was. It had been 3 minutes. I was good! As we drove away I cleared my throat and he was like uhhhh. I did experience the tickle in my throat and some numbness around my lips and mouth, but nothing to the magnitude as with the first dose. I had plans of going home and sleeping because of the Benadryl, but we actually ended up going to a friends house to move a piano and the boys rode dirt bikes then we went to another friends cabin and the kids rode 4-wheelers. We played corn hole and bbq’d and then drove home at dusk.
Sunday it hit. I felt awful! I was on the couch feeling miserable! So glad I was not working that day! I slept a bunch and did nothing!
Monday I still didn’t feel great, but still went to work knowing it was the side effects. I just felt almost like I had the flu. (Stomachache/feverish, but no throwing up).
Tuesday I felt much better. Just the ‘normal’ grind.
Wednesday was fun - ha. I had a sebaceous cyst removed off of my shoulder on 8/6 and it was time to get my stitches out. I went to my appointment and it was really hurting. Seemed like something was wrong. Dr mentioned it was probably infected. Ugh. He started taking the stitches out and let me tell you. That was the strangest feeling/sound ever! As he got to the 6th stitch and explaining what he was doing and how it was ‘opening up a little’ I said I need water I feel like I’m gonna puke! I thought I was going to pass out! What a weird feeling! I sat a bit and had some water, went back to my desk and then luckily my lunch was within 15 minutes. Now I’m on antibiotics.

Thursday morning I’m getting ready for work and my 13 year old calls me, yes calls me. I’m in the kitchen down the hallway from his bedroom and he sounds terrible and tells me he has a stomachache, headache and sore throat and cannot get up for football practice. I went in to check on him and he felt feverish and I let his coach know he wouldn’t be there and went on with my day. When I came home for lunch he was still sleeping which isn’t really abnormal for a teenager, but when I got home from work at 5 he was STILL in bed and hadn’t even touched his PS4! That’s when I knew it was legit. I tried to take him in, but all urgent cares were at capacity.
Friday he was still down, so I figured he’d take the weekend to rest up and feel better! While at work about 9am I didn’t feel good thinking its GI stuff and came home. I went right to sleep and slept for hours. I decided I better take Jackson in to be tested for COVID. I was told if the nurse calls it’s usually negative and if the doctor calls it’s usually positive. Two hours after he was swabbed my phone rings and it’s the clinic. I answer and it’s the doctor. Ugh! He makes sure he’s speaking to the parent of Jackson and informs me that he is COVID positive and we all need to quarantine. At this point I’m wondering if this is what I have too. WHAT. A. WEEK. At this point Jes and Jacob have no symptoms and start staying in our travel trailer in the driveway in hopes of staying symptom free.
Saturday I felt worse and my jobs employee health nurse has me go in to be tested. Two hours later it comes back negative. Strange. Maybe I tested too soon? Maybe I’m lucky?
Sunday Jes gets to go back to work because 1. He didn’t develop symptoms in the last 36 hours and 2. He’s fully vaccinated. They wear masks at work too. I wake up in the middle of the night with difficulty breathing and a very sore throat! It feels like bricks on my chest. I panic and don’t even know what to do. I called Jes and he asked if I had my inhaler. I used it and it helped quite a bit thankfully! When Jes and Jacob do come in the house they are masked up. Jacob snapped this photo while in for one of his potty breaks. I miss them!
Monday I woke up and my throat still hurts quite a bit. I didn’t sleep good the night before so I lay around as I have been the previous days. Jes is home from work, but he and Jacob are secluded to the trailer. At this point Jackson has zero symptoms anymore. Work had me come in and re test today and it’s being sent out to Incyte and will come back in 1-2 days. Last night I made some time for self care - my feet thanked me!
Tuesday I wake up. I slept in quite a bit. Like 1030. Yay! I actually felt pretty good. I did my inhaler before bed in hopes of being able to breathe while laying down. Should get my results tomorrow, but today I feel a lot better. I just have a sore throat a cough especially at night. I've been sitting out back enjoying the sunshine!
Oh and did I mention it’s Jackson’s 14th birthday on Saturday 8/28 and he’s quarantined until 8/29?! Thankfully he's free that day because he has FRESHMAN orientation on 08/30! I'll keep you all posted with my test results, but at this point I feel like I'm on the mend either way and Jes and Jacob have steered clear!





2 comments:
And a NEW blog post with your spare time!
Sounds awful. Did you use an inhaler before this? I don't remember hearing about that.
I hope you all feel 100% soon and that Jes and Jacob are able to be spared from it.
Right?! I had nothing else to do and figured this would be something to remember. I started using an inhaler a couple years ago as I have allergy induced asthma or when I exercise hard. Jackson and I are both feeling great now and my second test was negative!! I get to go back to work on 8/31!! So far Jes and Jacob still have no symptoms, so hoping to keep it that way!
Post a Comment